Thursday, January 28, 2010

Change of Filing Location for Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Ground of Inadmissibility

WASHINGTON - U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) today announced revisions to Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Ground of Inadmissibility.

As of January 4, 2010, infection with the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) is no longer a ground of inadmissibility. If you have the HIV infection, you are no longer inadmissible to the United States, and are no longer required to file Form I-601 because of your HIV infection. As part of the revisions to Form I-601, any reference to HIV infection in the form and the instructions were removed.

In addition, USCIS today announced that there are revised filing instructions and addresses for applicants filing Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Ground of Inadmissibility. The change of filing location is part of an overall effort to transition the intake of benefit forms from USCIS local offices and Service Centers to USCIS Lockbox facilities. By centralizing form and fee intake to a Lockbox environment, USCIS can provide customers with more efficient and effective initial processing of applications and fees.

Beginning 1/27/2010, the following filing location changes are in effect for applicants located in the United States:

  • Applicants who a) have an approved Form I-360 based as a Self-petitioning spouse or child of an abusive U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident, or b) are a T nonimmigrant seeking adjustment of status, and who are filing Form I-601, must file their application at the USCIS Vermont Service Center;

USCIS Vermont Service Center

75 Lower Welden Street

St. Albans, VT 05479-0001.

  • Applicants who are filing Form I-601 together with Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, must file the I-485 and the I-601 at the filing location specified on the Form I-485 instructions.
  • Applicants who have a pending Form I-485 must file Form I-601 with a USCIS Lockbox facility, based on the first 3 letters in their application receipt number. Detailed guidance can be found in updated Form I-601 instructions as well as at www.uscis.gov. Applicants must include a copy of the I-797C, Notice of Action, showing that their Form I-485 was accepted.
  • Applicants for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) under the Immigration and Nationality Act Section 244, must file Form I-601 with Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status. Consult the applicable Federal Register notice for the applicant's country’s TPS designation.
  • Individuals in removal proceedings, must file Form I-601 with the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) office with jurisdiction over your case and according to the instructions that are provided to the individual in court.

USCIS Offices will forward incorrectly filed I-601 applications to the USCIS Lockbox facilities for 30 days, until 2/27/2010. After that, incorrectly filed applications will be returned to the applicant, with a note to send the application to the correct location.

Applicants located outside of the United States will continue to file their Form I-601 with the U.S. Embassy or consulate where they are applying for a visa.

When filing Form I-601 at a Lockbox facility, applicants may elect to receive an email and/or text message notifying them that USCIS has accepted their applications. To receive notification, the applicant must complete an E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance (Form G-1145), and attach it to the first page of the application.

For more information on USCIS programs or to download a copy of a USCIS Form, visit www.uscis.gov or call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

1 comment:

  1. I love to read your article. This is the perfect blog for those who want to know about a visa waiver. Thanks for posting.

    US Visa Waiver

    ReplyDelete